5:54 pm, Mon, 25 May 20
In such a time as this, it is now more than ever time to take care of your mental health. This doesn’t look the same for everyone, but making sure you are doing mental health checks and remembering to slow down a bit is imperative to your health. Self-care does not just look like facials and massages. Self-care can be anything from taking 5 minutes in the morning to make your bed, to meditation for an hour on your balcony. Here are a few things you can do to help yourself stay upbeat and sane in a time of uncertainty.
- Find something that makes you smile to start off your day. I love making my bed in the morning. It doesn’t seem like much, but it gets me excited to get out of bed. As soon as I get out of bed I fix myself a cup of coffee and I sit down and journal for about 15 minutes. It’s a great way to start the day and think about the things I am grateful for.
- When you are confined to your house, townhouse, or apartment make sure you GO OUTSIDE! I can’t stress this enough! Even if you just sit on the balcony and take in some UV rays. This will thoroughly help your mood as well as give you Vitamin D deposits, helping with your complexion.
- Exercise releases endorphins and can get you motivated to get out of your “daytime pjs.” It’s important to create a routine, even when you don’t need to leave the house that enables you to thrive, not just survive. Even if you are doing a 10 minute workout or perhaps squats between phone calls, getting your heart rate going will help your mindset and increase your immune system.
- Take your vitamins and make sure you are getting the right nutrition. We are ALL tired of cooking at this point. I used to look forward to creating a meal for myself, friends and family, but now it feels like a pressure that has no release valve! What you can do to cope, get some simple recipes going. Easy things that you can eat for dinner and lunch the next day. Creating a salad and having all the ingredients pre-chopped to add what you would like to it is a great way to have a healthy and yummy option that doesn’t feel like such a chore. Don’t forget to take your Multi-vitamin and Vitamin C!
- Protect your mental health. Make some time to do some breathing exercises, yoga, prayer or meditation. Your mental health is worth it. Take a break every now and then from the news and social media and just be in the moment.
Whether you are quarantined alone or with a household of people we all have moments of claustrophobia. In those moments remember that this too will pass and there is a great big world we can explore when it does. Take a breath and a sip of water and just be in the moment. And when this does pass, we will be there to help you with your unwanted hair, pores, and fat. Know that we miss your smiling faces and can’t wait to see you again. We are in this together!